Sean and I decided that when our kids turn 12 we would take them to watch General Conference in person. Growing up East Coast is great but we defiantly miss out on lots of good LDS culture! Our good friends the Frost's started the tradition with their kids and they've turned out so well we thought we'd adopt the same tradition! Alanna and I have been looking forward to this trip since January! (when we bought our tickets) We want them to get to experience how fun Utah is hoping that they'll choose to go to college there. Also so they can go to Conference and get to be in the same room as general authorities! We flew out Wednesday ready to have fun!
Sean booked our rental car and insisted we get a Mustang convertible (I was not sold on the idea-neither Sean or I are big car people) but I'm so glad he insisted. Not only did Alanna have the time of her life in it but it was SUPER fun to drive!
MOUNTAINS!
We drove right to Tia and Hanson's apartment which is right behind one of the apartment complexes I lived in in college! Sean called on our drive down and suggested we use the GPS on my phone so we wouldn't get lost. I drove straight there from memory! After hugs we went to get burgers-YUM!
We spent the night at Ang's and got up to go to Costco!
(I wanted to get undershirts)
Sure wish we had one in Maine!
Giant missionary!
Then we went to Deseret Book ate lunch at Costa Vida and to see my cousin Ashley. We love them!
Pretty sure we ate at Costa Vida every day! We went back to Ang's apartment and hung out til Hanson could go to dinner with us. We went to Gloria's Little Italy on Center St in Provo after eating Hanson went home to study while us girls went to BYU to go bowling! Right after we got there an employee came over the loud speaker saying that FYI some guys from ESPN were going to be coming in to film what BYU students like to do for fun in a segment to be aired the next night during the football game. I felt really old--with all the college age kids there! I had a lot of fun reminiscing though! After bowling we went to the BYU Creamery for dessert!
After sleeping at Tia's that night we woke up and went to hike the Y Friday morning!
Alanna taking a break.
After Ang and I teased her half the way up she said "Hey, I have CF! How'd you think you'd feel if you were breathing with my lungs!" Good point!
The view was amazing!
It was a BEAUTIFUL morning!
You could see FOUR temple's!
Can you see the Y?
After spending the rest of the day doing a little shopping at the University Mall and the BYU bookstore plus driving by the two temple's and the MTC we dropped Anganette at her place and Alanna and I went to the football game! I was SO excited!
Temple top left corner of the stadium!
I was so excited for Alanna to get to hear a prayer with over 63,000 people participating!
Of course our luck we got a stupid guy who cursed a bunch of times sitting right behind us!
Jim McMahon got his jersey retired during half time.
We were having a ball! Sadly, Taysom Hill ended up broking his leg and is officially done for the season. Such a bummer, they were having such a great season thus far. It was funny because I had to have Sean (who was watching at home on ESPN) text me what was happening because no one in the stadium thought he was hurt very bad. A few plays before a ref got taken out on the sidelines and the whole stadium gasped together! We left the game a bit early (we were losing) because we had to be up early to get up to Salt Lake to meet Sean's sister Amy and her family!! They decided to go to conference in Oct instead of April when they usually go to see us!
We kinda had nose bleed seats (when my mom and my sister's and I went a few years ago, we were a few row's from the front!) but it awesome of course anyway! Sean texted me that our friend Duke was sitting on the main floor down in front of us! He had to hurry off to the airport once the session ended but we did see Kathrine Hayes-she's from my sister's ward, she's going to BYU.
After changing and meeting Rourke and Pierce for lunch us girls walked around Temple Square.
The girls checking out the model of the temple with the sister missionaries.
We did a bit of shopping across the street at City Creek.
Emma introduced Alanna to our families newest obsession-Disney Tsum Tusm's!
Emma introduced Alanna to our families newest obsession-Disney Tsum Tusm's!
Ang and Hanson came up to spend the afternoon with us. We had such a fun time!
Amy is a hoot! She is super fun to hang with! We ate yummy Kneaders for dinner! After Ang and Hanson left-Rourke and Pierce went to the priesthood session we all went back to our hotel to swim!
Katie and her girls met us there! We had a ball laughing and talking-the girls had as much fun swimming together! At one point Katie said to Amy "Oh, my gosh your so much like Sean! It makes me miss him!" They are a lot a like! Then we were sad we had to say goodbye to both Katie and girls and Amy and Emma!
The next morning Anganette and Hanson met us for the morning session of conference.
The nice guy behind me got in trouble for taking this picture for me! Opps!
After we ate a picnic lunch Ang packed for us one of my best roommates from college met us at City Creek! I'm so bummed I didn't get a picture with Heidi! I was SO happy to see her and her family!! Heidi is a fun, fun gal! She is the best person to get crazy with! We had a lot of fun together in college! Her sister was also one of my roommates so it was great to get to hear all about Callie and her family! Then Alanna and I drove down to Lehi to see my other best roommate from college, Lisa! It was so fun to see her and her husband Todd and her their kids! She (and her daughter Audrey) actually met Alanna and I pre-9/11 at the Salt Lake airport when we were flying to Idaho to see Sean's sister Amy when Alanna was a baby! So they got to meet again! Lisa and I just get each other, it's weird and great all at the same time! I wish we lived closer so our families could hang out more! It was so, so, so great to see both Heidi and Lisa! Both have had to deal with a lot of tough trials in the past few years but they don't let break them! They are both pretty awesome! Really.
Monday morning we ate a delicious breakfast across from the temple then walked around Temple square for a few hours.
Later we drove back down to Provo to spend the afternoon with Ang.
We took pictures at the temple.
And went to a fun trampoline place! I have the best video of Ang running at Alanna getting ready to shove her in but at the last minute Alanna step out of the way so Ang ran straight into the foam pit! After we went to Sodalious to hydrate--it's a crazy cool soda place!
For our last dinner Hanson, Anganette and Alanna and I went to Radizio Grill in American Fork.
Alanna LOVES meat!
After dinner we went bowling again and said goodbye!
When we got back to Salt Lake City we walked around Temple Square one more time before we packed our bags and went to sleep. The next morning we dropped our rental off and went through security at the airport. As we were walking to our gate I saw that they have a Café Rio IN the airport! It was only 10:30 but I had to eat there one last time... We had such a great trip together! I can't believe how fast Alanna is growing up, I feel so blessed that we were able to go on this trip together! We made many great memories! I LOVE our church!
1 comment:
SO much fun!!
Post a Comment