Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cleft Clinic...

....in pictures.





All checked in.




Embree getting an "arm hug".




36lbs and 41inches.


Picture taking session in our room.



Embree loves her Bunny!






I love Embree.





LOTS!




Looking at her 'pretty lip'.



Showing Kim a game on my phone.--Bree's speech pathologist.

Whom we love, she's practically family to us.



***THIS IS HUGE***

A few weeks ago Kim informed us that Embree is her star pupil! She's never seen such an improvement in some one's speech as she has Embree's. (were talking over 30 years of experience!) Embree has gone from only 20% intelligibility to 95%. Remember she had a pharyngeal flap surgery done in September of 2009 which made it possible for her to produce the sounds she wasn't capable of . Kim has worked with her once a week since she was 14 mos! (a few years she went twice a week). We are so proud of Embree's hard "work". <---That's what Embree and Kim call their speech sessions. She'll keep going until June just for fun/practice.





Paula the coordinator stopped by to coordinate but we forgot to get a picture.




Playing in the toy room.

This is Embree, Dallin, and Alanna's favorite toy there.







Back in Bee's room being checked out by the team's pediatrician.

Her stethoscope was cold so Embree was giggling while she listened to her heart and lungs.




Last stop seeing the fab four!


They are SO great! We walked into the room and Embree asks as she scans the room "can Dr. McGill do it?" Meaning can he be the one to use the tongue depressor and look in her mouth. He about burst his buttons with pride! I was really dreading what they were going to say. This is where the bombs get dropped how many surgeries and when, I just can't take anymore stress! But much to my surprise they only want to take out the tooth in her cleft (actually IN her palate). Dr. Fister was actually in the room, I haven't seen him in a few years. Dr. Tableman was confirming that she saw him in November and I said replied that she had not seen him. He countered that the paper he was looking at said she had. Dr. Fister spoke up and said he didn't have this in his notes and that he didn't remember seeing her. We all laughed when I said "since I didn't even know 'Dr. Fister' was in the room we can all agree she had NOT seen him".(he's the oral surgeon who's going to pull the correct tooth). He spent the next few minutes thinking that HE was the one who pulled the wrong tooth last May. Dr. Tableman laughed and told him the doctors name who did do it. He was so relieved he sat down on the exam table. While we chuckled at him Dr. McGill said "if you were the one who did it you can be sure Megan wouldn't let you try to do it again!" Embree did great and even hopped back up onto the table when Dr. Fister needed to look in her mouth again. I can't explain how much I love that those guys love my daughter. They look forward to seeing her, they think she's beautiful, sweet, smart, and cooperative. Embree put her head on Dr. McGill's shoulder when he got next to her for the picture, I about cried! (she put her head up when I took the picture)



Embree eating the goodness that we picked up at Frank's on the way home after retrieving Trew from Bridgette's.
(I tried really hard to save some for Sean....er..it didn't happen)

***post edit--for some reason the hearing center was closed to the clinic today, that's where we always start. She'll have to go back and have her hearing tested in a few weeks.

6 comments:

Moses Family said...

So happy for Embree, what a sweet little girl! Your next assignment: post a video of her talking!!!

Hannah said...

Hooray for such good news!

That is wonderful that her speech has improved so much! What a blessing for her.

Shandra said...

What a little Sweetheart! She is such a Beautiful little girl...so happy to hear they didn't want to do another surgery! What a little trooper she is! :o)

Megan and Sean said...

Embree you are my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bnana and Papa love yoou soo very much Happy Birthday to you. Can't believe you will be 5.. So grown up.

Kristi said...

She really is an amazing girl! I have to laugh that she barely weighs more than Alli. :) LOVE her!

Amy said...

She's so stinkin' cute, Megan!!!! I hope James asks her out when they're teenagers.