Thursday, September 13, 2007

Embree's home.




Embree is the toughest girl I know. We got her up Monday morning, took her into the hospital she entertained all the nurse's and anaesthesiologists. Many of them have met her before. She was a very happy girl and never once cried or complained. About a 1/2 hour before surgery they gave her some medicine to make her calm. It was even more funny then the last time she went from sixty to zero in less then ten minutes. I was holding her, she turned to look at Sean and just belly laughed for NO reason. Sean and I laughed and laughed. We got some video of it. The anesthesiologist took her in to the OR and we went to eat breakfast.



After only about two hours we were paged back to the waiting room. We were quite surprised because we were told her wouldn't be done until after noon and it was only ten thirty. The nurse brought us into the recovery room only to discover it was a mistake she wasn't done. That did nothing for our nerves. We found our Bishop, (my uncle) and my aunt looking for us. That was a nice distraction. Finally she was done. I wish I could explain the horror that is seeing your child in pain. It's awful. That's an understatement. She was crying as best she could because the doctor puts a stitch right threw her tongue then tied it to a big piece of gauze in case she has a problem breathing they can just pull on the gauze to move her tongue and get a better airway. I tried to calm her it didn't work very well. I started crying, Sean was very upset too. She got very angry at the pulse-ox thing on her toe and her blood pressure cuff. She started screaming and tried to get up. It was so awful I'll spare the details. Finally I held her. After about a half an hour we got sent up to our room. She was just miserable.



I asked her if she wanted a drink she shook her head yes. I got her a sippy cup of juice and she drank almost the whole thing!!!!! This is amazing her doctor said she would drink or eat for a day or two. She hated to be in her room we took her right away for a ride in a wagon. Papa and Banana came to see her. She took one look at Banana and put her arms out. She ended up drinking more so I asked her if she wanted some food. She said yes so I got her an applesauce cup. She ate it all. I went and got her a dish of pudding, she ate all of that. When Dr. McGill called that night he was SHOCKED that she was eating and drinking. We were dreading the night, but at nine thirty I asked her if she wanted to go "bunny night-night" she shook her head yes and leaned towards the crib. She slept all night until six thirty. We even gave her two medicines by mouth at midnight.


She was grumpy the next day until Bridgette and Nora came to play in the afternoon. She was RUNNING everywhere. We had to kill ourselves pushing the IV pole as fast as we could. It was quite fun for all the nurse's to watch. She pushed a baby stroller around, and around the loop. They all thought she was very cute! She had another great night. Dr. McGill came into see her and said he'd come back in the morning and discharge her! She wasn't expected to leave until Friday! She had another great night. We came home yesterday at noon. I am amazed at how fast our little Embree is bouncing back!! She is wearing her arm restraints and has totally adapted. Last evening I heard her fussing. I could see her out of the corner of my eye so I just ignored her for a minute when she didn't stop I went to her. She was sitting on the floor with her sippy cup trying to take a drink!! Poor girl!! I helped her and she got up and went and played some more! We so glad to have this surgery over with!!

6 comments:

Erika said...

I'm so glad to hear that Embree is home and doing well. It sounds like things got quite traumatic but that she is recovering well. Surgery is so difficult. I'll keep all of you, especially Embree in my prayers. She's such a cutie!

Jewel said...

Glad you guys are through this one. Ours are far behind us (Lucas is 9!) but I remember them well. Sounds like Embree is a realy little fighter:)

Betsy said...

What a cute girl. She is so sweet, and you are right, so tough! I am just amazed to see how resiliant she is, and so happy. Well, you can all live more peacefully, knowing it is all over and went so well!

annafowler said...

Megan,

I am so glad you guys have this surgery behind you now. Embree sounds so much like Jimmy. We were having to keep up with him with the IV pole too. These kiddos are truly amazing.

Angela said...

Hi Megan! I'm glad you commented, I check out your blog pretty often too! Wow, I'm so impressed with your little Embree. The worst surgery we've had to deal with was a tonsilectomy! I can't imagine how hard that was for you. The worst for us was coming out of the anesthesia! I'm glad she's recovering so fast. ttyl!

Smith Living said...

The older she gets the more beautiful she is. She amazingly looks pretty happy in these pictures, she is tough.